How to Prevent Summertime Storm Damage
Record-breaking high temperatures coupled with a quick calendar check confirm that spring has flung, and that summer has officially begun. But while the warmth of the summer season brings about lazy days spent poolside or picnicking in the park, it unfortunately also brings about summer storms.
According to the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), between 2005 and 2014, total flood insurance claims averaged more than $3.5 billion per year, and the NFIP paid more than $345 million in flood insurance claims to policyholders in 2014 alone. Additionally, the Insurance Information Institute (I.I.I.) reports that the costliest homeowner claims between 2009 and 2013 were related to fire, lightning, or debris removal; and in 2014, property damage caused solely by lightning totaled more than $30 million nationwide.
In addition to knowing what your insurance policy covers, Nationwide and the I.I.I. offer a few tips for protecting your home from potential water damage and lightning-related fire damage.
Preventing Water Damage
- Install backflow valves or standpipes to prevent sewer lines from backing up.
- Install a sump pump system if you have below-grade floors.
- Install a flood-detection device that sounds an alarm or calls your phone if it senses water - typically in your basement.
- Regularly inspect gutters and downspouts to ensure the are free of debris and leaves. Repair the gutters if they are sagging.
If Water Damage Occurs:
- Check for structural damage before going inside.
- Contact a water damage mitigation professional to assess water loss-related damages.
- Use your cell phone or camera to photograph damage to help get your insurance claim started sooner.
- Inventory damaged or destroyed items.
- Report your claim to your insurance agent or company as soon as possible.
Preventing Lightning-Related Fire Damage
- Install a lightning protection system, securely anchored to the roof.
- Use surge protectors.
- Unplug expensive electronic equipment.
If you have summertime storm damage to your home, call AdvantaClean @ 877-800-2382 to have a crew dispatched immediately.
More info? For information on what to do in the event of water damage, read our post: Did Your House Flood?