What is Toxic Mold?
Toxic mold is known by many names: Stachybotrys chartarum, Stachybotrys altra, and black mold. No matter what you call it, toxic mold is a greenish-black fungus that is most commonly found in flood-damaged buildings; and according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), for individuals susceptible to toxic mold, exposure has the potential to cause symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, or skin irritation. Some people, such as those with serious allergies to toxic mold, may have more severe reactions.
How to Prevent Toxic Mold Growth and Exposure
According to AdvantaClean mold specialists, toxic mold needs three things to grow:
- A food source such as drywall
- Optimum temperatures which fall anywhere between 32- and 120-degrees Fahrenheit
If you can eliminate one of these three ingredients, you can prevent toxic mold growth in your home. Be sure to check for leaks and seepage, waterproof your basement or crawlspace, and call a professional water damage mitigation expert in the case of a home flood.
How to Stop Toxic Mold Growth Once it Starts
In addition to preventing mold growth, you should also know where to look for already-existing mold. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) identifies the following as the most common potential mold-harboring appliances and structures in your home:
If you believe you've found toxic mold in your home, call a mold remediation specialist immediately. AdvantaClean experts can diagnose your mold and moisture issues by properly identifying, recommending and implementing corrective actions.
More info? For more information on preventing mold growth, check out our post: Stop Mold Growth Before it Starts, Tips to Prevent Mold Growth.
If you have experienced water damage or have found mold in your home, contact AdvantaClean at 877.800.2382for a water mitigation or mold remediation estimate today.My content here