Homeowner Guidance: Sewage Clean Up
Uh-oh. Your septic tank is backed up, and that certainly isn't love that's in the air - that foul odor is bacteria-soaked liquid waste. According to the National Association of Realtors, to get rid of that smell, you've got no time to waste.
Getting Started on Sewage Clean Up
Before starting sewage clean up, go ahead and call the sewage professionals. Call a cleanup specialist to pump out and wipe up the gunk, deodorize, and restore carpets and floors if possible; and call a septic sewage specialist to pump out your septic tank and either repair or replace it.
While you're waiting for the professionals to arrive for sewage clean up, put on rubber boots, gloves, and a mask, and get started:
- Shoveling solids into a heavy plastic bag.
- Soaking up liquid with paper towels or rags.
- Using a wet/dry vacuum for small sewage clean up areas or to suck up any remaining puddles.
- Tape a path of plastic sheeting to the floor to avoiding sewage soiling other parts of the house.
- Place all affected items outside to air out.
- Tear up and throw out carpets and rugs.
- Thoroughly mop the area with a solution of bleach and water mixed 1:1.
Why Do I Have to Throw Out My Rugs and Carpets?
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) explains that absorbent or porous materials such as your rugs and carpet are at high risk for mold and bacteria growth, especially in crevices which makes the mold and bacteria impossible to completely remove. Depending on the severity, moldy conditions can lead to rot, structural damage, premature paint failure, and a variety of health problems including coughing, sneezing, watery eyes, itching, and even respiratory failure.
If you spot mold, or see signs of water damage due to your septic tank backup, schedule a mold inspection and remediation with a certified mold remediation specialist or water mitigation specialist to assess any and all damage.
More info? For more information on where mold comes from, read our post: Identify Mold and Mildew in Your Home.
Call 877-800-2382 to schedule a mold inspection or remediation estimate AdvantaCleantoday!