Indoor Indestructible Houseplants
You love plants, but maybe your thumb isn’t exactly green. Or maybe you just want to have a new friend in the house for the spring that’s low-maintenance and makes your space a little bit brighter without adding another maintenance task to your to-do list every day. Either way, we’ve got a great list of indoor indestructible houseplants to make your spring happier and greener! Here are ten of our favorites for you to try if you’ve had bad luck in the past:
- Money Tree (Pachira Aquatica): Aside from having the best name, we put this one at the top of our list because it’s rumored to bring its owner good luck, it’s a medium size, and it only requires water about once a week. You can also keep it in partial sunlight.
- Lucky Bamboo (Dracaena Sanderiana): These fun little fellas come in many lengths and they’re perfect for a desk or office space, or any space really. Just put them in a jar or other small container with rocks and water and they don’t need much attention at all – they don’t require a lot pof sunlight and they’ll even withstand an over-watering owner.
- Mother In Law’s Tongue (Sanseveria): This one is also called the “Snake Plant” because of the shape of its leaves. Just like your mother-in-law, you can forget all about this plant for weeks and it’ll survive just fine. It has waxy, strong leaves and it can be put in various sizes of pots. If you’re the under-waterer type, this one might be perfect for you!
- Small Succulents: Your local garden store probably has a wide variety of succulent plants under $10. These tiny friends are perfect for the owner who tends to kill their plants. From jade to cactus to aloe (which has the additional benefit of an all-natural gel for cuts and burns), they’re all quite beautiful and they come in so many different fun shapes that you can pick more than one to make your indoor spaces greener. You can also personalize them with fun small jars or cups to give them even more personality. The best part about succulents is that they’re hard to kill, so find your favorites today!
- Cast-Iron Plant (Aspidistra): Also called the “Milky Way” plant, this green friend can handle all kinds of light and temperature settings in your home or office. It’ll withstand you forgetting to water it for a while and it tends to grow more slowly.
- Umbrella Tree (Hawaiian schefflera): If you prefer a faster-growing little guy, then this might be the one for you. You can easily trim back the leaves as it grows.
- Ripple Peperomia: This one might have the coolest name on our list, but it’s also neat because it can be placed in any light environment except for direct sunlight. It’s non-toxic for your pets, and it doesn’t even reach a foot tall when it’s done growing, so if you’re looking for the right friend to put on your window sill or other small space, then Ripple Peperomia may be for you!
- Pothos: This one is a favorite fast-growing, sprawling tropical style plant that can survive in many different conditions indoors as long as they have indirect sunlight. When the top of the soil gets dry, all you have to do is give them a little water and off they go.
- Spider Plant (Chlorophytum comosum): These are great for hanging because of the way their “arms” grow out – just make sure to rotate the basket every so often to get the entire plant some light. They do best with a frequent spraying of water, so if you want a friend who needs a little more attention, then this could be a good choice for your home. These hardy plants are fun and they can be a real joy to maintain throughout the year.
- Rubber Plant (Ficus elastica): And if all else fails, go with the plant that has the name that makes it sound synthetic! The rubber plant does well in bright light, its leaves can grow up to a foot long, and it doesn’t normally invite a lot of pests. The leaves will eventually wither and drop off, so it does require some ongoing maintenance, but this plant is one of the toughest to kill.
We hope this helps you find a new indestructible friend for the springtime! Enjoy shopping for your new favorite plants to make your home and office greener and happier for 2019.
More info? For more information on indoor plants, check out our other post: PET FRIENDLY INDOOR PLANTS THAT PURIFY THE AIR
Call 877-957-5670 to schedule an appointment with an AdvantaClean Indoor Air Quality Professional today!