Simple Tips to Deodorize Your Home Naturally
Homes can get smelly fast. Whether you live in a tiny apartment or a spacious mansion, all kinds of odors sure seem to have a way of showing up, don’t they? So whether you’re on a tight budget or you’ve got a lot of money left over every month, it’s important to keep your spaces as fresh and healthy as possible because indoor air quality is routinely cited by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as one of the most pressing public health issues in America. If you’re thinking that it takes a lot to keep your home smelling better, we’d like to encourage you that there are many simple tips to deodorize your home naturally. Check out our top suggestions in this list and you’ll be well on your way to a cleaner, fresher and healthier home in no time!
1. Ventilate. Super-simple one to start out with: simply open your windows. It’s amazing what a good breath of fresh air for yourself and for your home can do for eliminating nasty odors. If it’s been weeks or months since you’ve allowed outdoor air to circulate through your indoor spaces, then chances are that you’ve been breathing a lot of the same air over and over again as it recirculates through your HVAC system. That means you’re at an increased risk for all sorts of health issues -- everything from respiratory infections to headaches to watery, itchy eyes and other symptoms that are induced by toxic allergens in your indoor air. So get some fresh air inside and smell the difference!
2. Declutter. If you’re not a neat-freak, then take heart because you’re not alone. It’s awfully easy for all of us to collect too many things and allow them to build up on top of one another. The problem is that before you know it, a wet sock or a piece of garbage might end up underneath one of the piles and as it festers, it will cause all sorts of nasty odors. (Plus, if it’s food, it will attract unwanted insect and rodent friends…) So take some time and pick up the junk. Give everything its own place, and if you have insufficient storage for everything you own, then set out three bins with the labels: KEEP, DONATE, and TRASH. One by one, go through each item in your home and put it into one of the three bins. Before you know it, you’ll feel better having less stuff, and you’ll make your spaces smell better in the process.
3. Diffuse. Have you considered the health benefits of using an indoor diffuser to put natural scents into the air you’re breathing? All you have to do is add some water and a drop or two of your favorite essential oil, and your diffuser will do the rest. The essential oils will absorb lots of nasty chemicals and smells, leaving your indoor spaces fresher and smelling cleaner without the harmful effects of commercially-produced air fresheners. Instead of just masking the foul odors like store-bought deodorizers, essential oils diffused into your air will actually help to clean the toxins away.
4. Greenify. Indoor herbs and plants are a cheap, easy way to rid your indoor air of many toxic chemicals and foul scents. They also make your spaces brighter, more inviting and therefore more enjoyable for you, your family and your guests. The herbs are especially nice because so many of them require very little care and you can use them to spice up your cooking from your windowsill. Even the smallest living spaces can feel like a garden with the right herbs and plants!
5. Baking soda. Another very cheap, very simple method to rid your space of unwanted smells is to apply baking soda to the affected areas and allow it to absorb the nastiness that’s been bothering your sniffer. Carpets are great places to start: simply sprinkle the baking soda and let it sit for a while, then vacuum it away. You’ll probably notice an immediate difference in how your space smells. You can also buy little boxes of baking soda to place in your fridge and freezer to soak up all the foulness that so easily contaminates these storage areas. Just be sure to replace them every so often because after a while, they can lose their effectiveness.
More info? For more information about the removing odors from your home, check out
HOW CAN I REMOVE PET ODORS FROM MY DUCTS?
Call 877-957-5670 to schedule an appointment with an AdvantaClean indoor air quality specialist today!