Mold Case Studies
Department of Veterans Affairs - New Orleans, LA 70113
Hurricane Katrina ravaged the state of Louisiana, leaving unprecedented damage in her wake. New Orleans was dealt a particularly devastating blow when Katrina struck and the waters breached the levee system, flooding most of the city. One local medical facility suffered heavy damage, was consequently shut down and sealed for three months. During that “power off” time, the number one thing mold needs to grow was in abundance – moisture. With the high humidity, dark and undisturbed environment, mold took hold and began to proliferate throughout the ductwork. As work began to reopen the facility, the VA discovered the issue and awarded the mold remediation and air duct cleaning contract to AdvantaClean.
AdvantaClean was contracted by the Department of Veterans Affairs to clean ductwork and handle mold remediation at a 350 bed medical facility, including the hospital and transitional care center.
- The scope of work for this project included remediation and cleaning of ductwork, contaminated coils, and central pump units throughout the facility, including demolition and renovation of various areas.
- Because the ten-story, 354-bed hospital and transitional care facility had been evacuated and closed down for over 90 days, mold and microbial growth in the ducts and HVAC system components were a serious concern. The project team cleaned over one million square feet of ductwork, often dealing with special situations like radioactive rooms, animal laboratories and physical space constraints.
- The large-scale, highly complex project took five months to complete with progress reports being sent daily to the VA’s resident engineer and AdvantaClean headquarters. Tracking and testing were critical success factors as the team moved through each floor, ensuring no microbial growth existed in the air ducts.
- After passing strenuous clearance testing in each room, floor and eventually the entire hospital, the center became one of the first facilities in New Orleans’ vast medical district to reopen its doors.
Make Your Home
Safe, Clean & Healthy
GULFPORT VA MEDICAL CENTER - GULFPORT, MISSISSIPPI 39504
AdvantaClean was contracted by the Department of Veterans Affairs to perform multiple environmental services at the site of the Gulfport VA Medical Center, which was heavily damaged by Hurricane Katrina.
- The work at the facility, currently ongoing, includes the remediation of hazardous materials and demolition of structures affected by severe weather.
- Thousands of patient records and sensitive documents were scattered over several acres. They are being retrieved and recovered under the contract and stored in secure containers for final disposition by the VA.
- Other tasks associated with this project include: construction management services, site inspections and confirmation of hazardous materials at various buildings, and asbestos abatement.
A unique challenge associated with this contract is the extensive damage to most of the 50 buildings comprising the facility, most of which sustained heavy structural damage.
YORK COUNTY COURTHOUSE - YORK, SC 29745
AdvantaClean was contracted by WPC Engineering to perform multiple environmental services at York County Courthouse in York, South Carolina.
- AdvantaClean was awarded a bid to provide mold remediation services to the client, as requested and as outlined by the scope of work, including the remediation and drying of specified documents within the courthouse
- All of the documents were individually dried, HEPA vacuumed and xeroxed as part of this project.
MOORESVILLE INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL - MOORESVILLE, NC 28115
AdvantaClean was contracted by Beam Construction Company to perform multiple environmental services at Mooresville Intermediate School
- The school had a sprinkler pipe leak causing water damage to the gymnasium and stage floors. Mold was discovered under the floor.
- The scope of work for this project included removing the gymnasium and stage floating floor system. This flooring consisted of ¾ wood floor fastened to multiple layers of plywood and 2x4 material.
- All areas were cleaned, HEPA vacuumed and disinfected.