Basement Mold Removal in Bloomington, MN
Bloomington Basement Moisture and Mold Experts
Major causes of Mold in the Basement
If mold is present in your basement, the first step is to know where the moisture is coming from. Mold in the basement if not handled fast can lead to rot, structural damage and also a variety of health problems like allergic reactions.
Some of the main causes of moisture which leads to the presence of mold in your basement are:
- Flooding: Houses that flood a lot are most susceptible to presence of mold. When a house floods water mostly runs to the basement and stays there for long without being suspected. Thus if your house floods a lot the best thing to do is remove any stagnant water in your basement and also make the room dry by using air conditioners, heaters or dehumidifiers. Also you should clean items that got wet during the flood.
- Basement leaks: Leaking pipes which may be situated in the basement may lead to basement mold growth. Thus ensuring that the pipes in your basement are tight and not leaking is recommended. Insufficient guttering or downspouts also lead to water penetrating to the basement through the ground. This also will lead to the presence of moisture in your basement thus leading to mold growth.
- Basement humidity: Humidity in your basement is one of the factors which encourage the growth of mold in your basement. A good way to prevent this is keeping the humidity in the basement below 55%, also the use of dehumidifiers reduces the humidity inside your house.
- Landscaping: Pools of water that accumulate up in the ground around the basement can cause serious mod development in your basement. This occurs mostly in cases where the ground is sloped towards the house. In this case it is always advisable to dig channels which will ensure that the water has drained away.
Methods of Ensuring that Your Bloomington Basement is Free From Moisture:
- Proper grade around the home directing moisture away from the structure.
- Installing, repairing or cleaning gutters and downspouts.
- Adding downspout extensions and exit lines to move water further from the home.
- Interior or exterior waterproofing.
- Installing basement ventilation systems, conditioning systems, or basement dehumidifier systems.