Controlling Moisture in Miami Homes
Miami Moisture Control Prevents Property Damage
When you hear the phrase Miami moisture control, what comes to mind? Most property owners know that significant leaks or backups from clogged or burst pipes or ruptured hoses and tanks in appliances need immediate addressing. Similarly, flooding after a storm, dam or levee breach, or municipal supply or waste line breaks cannot be ignored. But how concerned are you about excess fluids in lesser amounts or humidity levels that climb above 55 or 60 percent? Would it surprise you to learn that slightly but persistently damp areas in your property can transform from invisible and ignored to crises that disrupt your home life, cause business slowdowns or closures, or allow rampant microbial growth?
Outdoor Conditions and Property Damage
South Florida features warm to hot temperatures, frequent rains, high humidity, and countless sources of fresh, brackish, and saltwater in the environment. It is a simple fact that a lot of water and water vapor can infiltrate homes and businesses. As recommended by a reputable contractor like AdvantaClean and implemented consistently, Miami's moisture control tactics protect properties from the corrosive action of liquid water and the stealthy invasion of high humidity absorbed into porous building materials. The following are just some of the materials inside your property vulnerable to uncontrolled moisture, exposing them to deterioration from the corrosive nature of water or mold growth and damage:
● Roofing materials (missing shingles and loosened flashings)
● Foundations, including slabs and crawl spaces (permitting seepage inside or under a structure)
● Drywall (swelling and crumbling, with detached wallpaper and peeling paint)
● Ceiling tiles (bulging or holding trapped water)
● Insulation (packing down and exhibiting a reduced R-value)
● Flooring and carpeting, including seemingly water-resistant or impervious materials such as vinyl or ceramic tile (grout and adhesive issues) and warping, cupping, crowning, and buckling of hardwood floors and substrate
● Wooden joists, framing, and woodwork (weakening and distorting)
● Metal supports and fasteners (rusting and losing tensile strength)
● Doors and windows (sticking and failing to close appropriately as sills, jambs, heads, and other framings swell and shift, no longer plumb)
● Cabinets (trapping water from slow leaks and condensation from condenser lines)
● Appliances (electrical and condensation issues for freezers, refrigerators, and window AC units)
● Furniture, clothing and linens, window treatments, and all types of documents, books, electronics, and other personal property (disintegration after absorption of liquid or water vapor)
● Overworking of HVAC systems
Secondary mold damage is a challenge that might follow any of the above issues. AdvantaClean is uniquely qualified to provide successful and sustainable mold remediation when Miami moisture control is absent or inadequate to stop microbial growth.
Moisture Prevention Rather than Remediation Is Best
Miami moisture control hints from AdvantaClean focus on facilitating natural ventilation and the efficient operation of systems, such as heating, cooling, and dehumidifying equipment. Ensuring that AC units work properly typically requires routine servicing and maintenance. Closing exterior windows and doors help conditioned air maintain targeted humidity levels of 50 to 55 percent. Keeping closets, connecting doors, and cabinets open for at least part-time permits drier, conditioned air to reach areas prone to condensation or trapped fluids. Our IICRC and NADCA-trained crews can inspect and offer air duct cleaning services if your HVAC system can work more effectively after loosening and extracting dust and debris. Specific areas in Miami homes or commercial buildings benefit from moisture control facilitation as suggested by AdvanatClean and carried out by property owners or appropriate contractors such as:
● Review of the roof and gable venting and air movement in attic areas, possibly adding dedicated dehumidifiers or fans to enhance
● Inspection of slab foundations and crawl spaces, analyzing and improving drainage and ventilation systems, and encapsulation in specific situations
● Review of plumbing and waste lines for leaks and loose connections, arranging for licensed plumbers to repair and replace damaged pipes
● Checking condensation coils and drainage lines and emptying overflowing pans in AC, refrigerator, or freezer units to prevent drips and spills that are often in building cavities, under appliances, or in cabinets
● Installing, using, and maintaining exhaust fans in high water use and potentially humid spaces such as kitchens, bathrooms, spas, pools, and laundry or utility rooms
Water in both its liquid and vapor forms exposes structures and contents to heightened damage risks within your home or business in Miami. Moisture control must become a vital part of your property maintenance routine, protecting the integrity of building materials and reducing the possibility of mold or mildew growth that depends on elevated humidity or unresolved water damage to thrive and threaten adverse health effects.
You can depend on the experts at AdvantaClean of Miami for practical and effective moisture control strategies for Miami residences and commercial buildings. Call (786) 243-6782 to analyze your current circumstances and dampness mitigation planning.
AdvantaClean of Miami
2172 NW 29th Ave
Miami, FL 33142