- Flash floods often bring walls of water 10 to 20 feet high.
- Just six inches of rapidly moving flood water can knock a person down.
- A mere two feet of water can float a large vehicle even a bus.
- One-third of flooded roads and bridges are so damaged by water that any vehicle trying to cross stands only a 50% chance of making it to the other side.
- The great Mississippi River Flood of 1993 covered an area 500 miles long and 200 miles wide. More than 50,000 homes were damaged, and 12,000 miles of farmland were washed out.
- New land development can increase flood risk, especially if the construction changes natural runoff paths.
- Communities particularly at risk are those located in low-lying areas, near water, or downstream from a dam, but everyone lives in a flood zone - it's just a question of whether you live in a low, moderate, or high risk area.
If you've experienced water damage, AdvantaClean can help.