What is mold?
Mold is a fungus that grows on plants and fibers and is most often associated with damp, musty locations; it travels through the air as tiny spores which like to make their home in dark, wet areas and multiply.
Mold is an allergen and irritant, which makes it likely to pose health problems. Some people are particularly sensitive to mold, and exposure can cause mold symptoms like eye irritation and stuffiness. It can also worsen the symptoms of asthma and mold allergies.
Here are a few facts about mold that you may not know:
- Mold can destroy your home. Professional Builder Magazine warns that mold will dramatically lower the value of your home. Additionally, mold can lead to serious structural damage if left undetected.
- Mold grows quickly. It only needs moisture, warmth, and organic material to survive and can start growing in as little as 24 hours. Mold prefers areas with no sunlight, limited airflow, and little disruption - so common places you can look for mold would be crawlspaces, unfinished basements, and attics.
- Does bleach kill mold? No - bleach and detergent are useful for cleaning mold on nonporous surfaces, such as tile around a shower, but materials like carpeting and wallboard may need to be replaced. Mold will reappear if all sources of moisture and humidity are not eliminated.
If you've experienced mold damage, AdvantaClean can help.