Prepare Your Home for Summer Vacation
It’s the best time of the year: summer! You’re gearing up for a great season of fun in the sun and time on vacation with your loved ones. But what can you do to prepare your home for summer vacation? Here are some helpful, simple tips to set you up for success before, during and after your trip.
- Water supply. Turning off your home’s main water shutoff valve will minimize the risk of you returning home to the nightmare of water damage. Rest easier while you’re away by taking an extra minute to turn off that main valve. If you’re planning to be gone for a long time – say, a month or more – then it’s probably a good idea to still have a loved one or friend check in on your property at least once while you’re gone.
- Thermostat. Set your thermostat higher than usual to save on energy costs while you’re away. Keeping your home at 80 degrees is high enough that you’ll save money on your air conditioning costs, but not so high that you’ll be allowing things to get out of hand and increase your chances of moisture control issues. If you haven’t done so already, investing in a smart thermostat, or even just a simple programmable one, can save you money year-round, not just during your vacation. Programmable thermostats are available at your local home improvement store for as little as about $20. That small expense will pay for itself in a matter of weeks or months as you lower your energy bills – and, you’ll be helping the environment while you’re at it!
- Security system. If you haven’t invested in a camera system or other home security system, take a look at what’s on the market to find an option that will fit your budget. Having remote access via your smart phone can give you peace of mind that you can see your property at any time. Some systems even allow you to remotely activate an alarm when you see something suspicious going on. Monitored systems vary in cost per month depending on your needs, so do some comparison shopping before you buy – many will offer free equipment if you subscribe to their service.
Call AdvantaClean for Clean Air Ducts Today!
Is Your Home Making You Sick?
Create a healthy environment for your family. Request your service appointment today!
- Lights. Buy a few timers for various lights in your home and set them to come on and go off at different times. These timers are very inexpensive and they can help deter theft by making it appear that someone is home.
- Electronic devices. Take a few minutes before you hit the road to unplug anything that could be damaged by a power surge or even possibly cause a fire – you’ll save on your energy bill because many devices use a small amount of power to stay in standby mode, and you’ll rest easier while you’re away knowing that you won’t come back to a home with a broken device or fire damage.
- Have your HVAC system tuned up. Many local service providers offer membership deals where you can have your furnace and A/C systems checked every fall and spring to make sure they’re running in optimal fashion. Some companies will also offer you a discounted rate for repairs if you’re a member of their maintenance plans. A couple hundred bucks a year could pay for itself if a technician finds a problem that you might have otherwise missed – so take the opportunity before you go away from your home to have your systems checked by a professional and you’ll enjoy your travels much more knowing that your home will be in tip-top shape when you return.
- Clean it out before you go. The worst part about coming home is unpacking, and if you return to a disaster, you’ll have an even bigger one when you empty out the trunk and dump all your dirty clothes and souvenirs all over the place. Toss any expired items in your fridge, or items that will expire while you’re gone. Take out the trash and remove any items that could spoil or develop mold during your trip.
If you have any indoor air quality concerns about your home this summer, why not reach out to us here at AdvantaClean? Since 1994, we’ve been providing homeowners across the country with the best air quality and moisture control services available. From air duct cleaning to dryer vent cleaning services, from basement waterproofing to crawl space encapsulation, we know how to make homes the cleanest, driest and healthiest they can be. Our franchises are locally owned and operated by your neighbors, and we’re standing by to serve you, so get in touch with us today!
Call 877-957-5670 to schedule an appointment with an AdvantaClean Indoor Air Quality Professional today!