Christmas Tree Mold
There's nothing quite like finding that perfect, if not maybe a bit-too-big, Griswold-family-sized Christmas tree to mark the beginning of the holiday season. But be careful - according to The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (AAAAI), the Christmas tree mold on your pine-scented evergreen might be linked to poor indoor air quality.
What is Christmas tree mold?
The AAAAI explains that some trees house microscopic mold spores that trigger asthma or allergies, causing symptoms like sneezing, throat irritation, nasal stuffiness, and headaches. Further explanation comes from Juhie Bhatia of HealthDay, who says that the AAAAI study found that the mold spore count of homes with Christmas trees is five times above normal levels, which correlate with allergic rhinitis and an increased rate of asthma symptoms and asthma-related hospitalization in other studies.