Spring Home Checklist
Thank goodness the long, cold winter seems to finally be close to breaking across the country. If you’ve been suffering from cabin fever and a lack of sunshine, take heart because spring is about to make things brighter and happier for 2019! Now that things aren’t so cold and gloomy, you can get to work on cleaning your home and getting it ready for the warmer months. Now is the perfect time to make your living spaces as fresh and enjoyable as possible. Here’s a spring home checklist to get you rolling from top to bottom for a healthier, cleaner home. Happy cleaning, and happy spring!
- Roof & Gutters: Inspect your roof shingles for missing or damaged spots. Check your downspouts and the length of your gutters for any holes, cracks or other damage. Sometimes a fix can be as tightening a screw into the siding or roof. Also, clean out your gutters if there’s any debris left over from winter storms, and make sure they’re properly draining water away from the house. This is an important task because you don’t want water collecting around the perimeter of your home where it can seep into your foundation and cause all kinds of water damage issues.
- Siding: Borrow, rent or buy a pressure washer to get rid of the moldy buildup that has probably been growing on your exterior walls over the winter, especially on the north face of the structure which gets the least amount of sunlight. This may take a while, but your home will look so much better and be so much cleaner, you’ll feel great when it’s done! While you’re washing the siding, you’ll also be able to inspect all the surfaces for any holes or damage that’s occurred.
- Deck, Porch & Driveway: Carefully inspect all the surfaces of your outdoor patio spaces for damage or shifting and make time to reseal your wood, stone and asphalt surfaces to protect against water damage. Give your home’s foundation a careful look as well to see if there are any cracks or shifting of the walls.
- Windows & Screens: You know those windows are covered with all kinds of dirt and grime, so make some time to wash them, and while you’re at it give your screens a careful inspection too. Check your window seals to make sure they’re keeping out wind and water, and if it’s warm enough then leave them open for a while to circulate some fresh air throughout your home for the first time in months. These steps can take some time, of course, but they’re totally worth the effort!
- Furnace, Ventilation & Dryer: Change out your furnace’s air filter if it’s been more than 90 days since the last time you did it. Clean off the registers and take a look inside the vents to see how dirty things have gotten inside. If it’s been a while since your last professional air duct cleaning or you notice a buildup of dust, dirt, dander and other debris, give us a call at AdvantaClean for the best air duct cleaning services available! You should also thoroughly clean out your dryer and the attached vents – but we offer world-class dryer vent cleaning services too, so to minimize your risk of a dryer vent fire and ensure that every surface is totally clean, give us a call today.
- Kitchen: Clean off the coils of your refrigerator and sweep behind it to clean out the dirt and miscellaneous items that may have fallen back there over the winter. Inspect your dishwasher’s fill hose and your garbage disposal fittings to make sure that there aren’t any leaks or signs of damage. Wiping down every surface in the kitchen with your preferred cleaning agent is also a great way to feel fresher for the springtime.
- Electrical: Test your Ground Fault Current Interrupter (GFCI) outlets to make sure they’re functioning properly, as well as your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. If you can’t remember when the last time you replaced the batteries, now’s a great time to do so to ensure your family’s safety for the coming months.
- Air Conditioner: Schedule an annual maintenance visit from a reputable local service provider who can inspect your A/C unit to ensure it’s running as safely and efficiently as possible. Don’t wait to do this – local HVAC companies’ schedules fill up fast!
- Basement & Attic: Inspect your sump pump for cleanliness and functionality. If the spring rains get crazy, you’ll want this critical piece of equipment to do its job well to protect your foundation from water damage! Also take a look around your crawl spaces and clean them out. If you find evidence of mold or water damage, then contact AdvantaClean today for more information on a basement waterproofing and crawl space encapsulation solution. We’re the best in the business at protecting your home from the many moisture control issues that can creep in, especially from under your feet! Your attic is another place where a ton of moisture can end up working its way into your home, so do a thorough inspection of your home’s top level and contact AdvantaClean for more information on how you can keep things cleaner, drier and healthier throughout the year.
More info? For more information on making your home healthier, check out our other post: EASY HOME CLEANING LIFE HACKS
Call 877-957-5670 to schedule an appointment with an AdvantaClean Indoor Air Quality Professional today!