Real Estate Transaction Panic: How To Look For The Problem
Facilitating a real estate transaction is difficult enough without having to deal with mold. The bright side is that there are options on how to present and deal with a mold issue. No matter if you are buying or selling a home or are an agent helping your client through the transaction, there are precautions you can take to help make the deal go smoothly.
First, you should familiarize yourself with the different things that cause mold. Many of these are well known but can be “lost in the shuffle” while trying to organize the various details for the real estate transaction.
Living in Wisconsin, we face numerous challenging weather conditions that can easily cause mold in your home. Look out for situations that commonly cause mold, such as:
- Chimney Leaks
- A chimney is often overlooked. They are usually seen as being a sturdy part of the foundation, which can cause them to be overlooked when determining which areas of the home need maintenance. Consequently, leaks that go unnoticed are going to cause you problems down the road with mold and other complications. Get a professional chimney inspection to ensure you won’t encounter problems in the future.
- Moist/ Broken Pipes
- Finding broken pipes early on can save you hundreds of dollars in repair. Moisture can buildup on the outside of the pipes that can translate into a mold problem. An even worse scenario is finding that a pipe has broken. Both of these cases are going to spread moisture in unwanted places and likely turn into a mold problem. Contact a licensed plumber to fix broken or leaking pipes.
- Leaky Roof/ Attic
- It is likely that you will already know if the home has suffered from a leaky roof. This problem usually presents itself and is caught early enough before incurring serious damage. If you do not know of a leak but notice a difference in smell or humidity in your home, you should consider having it inspected and fixed by a licensed roofer as soon as possible.
- Extreme Humidity
- Wisconsin presents a unique challenge because of the high humidity we have during the summertime. Mold loves and thrives in humidity. Humidity in homes can be affected by ventilation, air conditioning and dehumidifiers. Relative humidity indoors should be kept below 45% is possible.
- Damp Basement
- Depending on if the basement is finished or not may impact how quickly you find a mold problem. Usually, homeowners that utilize their basement as an extension of the home will notice the odor or discoloration of mold. Those who rarely visit their basement may not notice these signs. Mold growing in the basement can spread through the house ductwork so consider having your ducts cleaned by a NADCA certified company like AdvantaClean of Suburban Milwaukee.
Mold can live in extreme conditions and many different environments. To keep the household safe from toxic spores, you will need to know how to find and fix a mold problem.
Here is what you may want to consider when you find mold in your listing:
Do Your Own Inspection
If you feel like there is any chance that mold is present, we recommend you perform an inspection on your own. Figure out where the mold is most likely to flourish and start your inspection. Be sure to wear gloves, safety glasses and a paper mask during the inspection.
Try to limit the amount you touch a potentially impacted area. Some molds can be highly toxic and could make someone sick. Another good practice is to have the homeowner show you around the home. Every home is different, so you will want an insider opinion of where the infestation could have started.
Write Down Everything You Find
Having notes of your inspection will be helpful in many ways. It will give you a concrete look into how to handle the problem. If you are experienced in repairs, you might be able to save a small mold outbreak before it becomes a serious issue. Also, writing it down will help you avoid any surprises when the other party comes in asking questions and requests their own inspection results. It is important to keep trust in the relationship so being upfront about the problems will make it easier to discuss how to move forward with the transaction. Documenting problem areas will help you avoid complications in the deal or any other potential deals.
Pre-determine Mold Costs
The cost of a serious mold problem can impact any home’s value. Potential microbial growth can be removed by professional mold remediation contractors. The best way to get an estimate on the costs of remediation would be schedule an inspection with a certified mold remediation contractor like AdvantaClean of Suburban Milwaukee.
Get a Professional Inspection
We cannot stress enough that a professional inspection is one of the most crucial steps. While we do recommend doing your own inspection at first—professionals like AdvantaClean of Suburban Milwaukee will be able to identify the root cause of the mold problem AND provide the services to eliminate it from the home.
Since mold consists of spores that travel through the air, it can spread quickly. Additionally, mold can create mycotoxins, which are dangerous organisms that may attack the immune system and jeopardize health. Keep a safe distance from the affected areas and allow the professionals at AdvantaClean to do the testing, removal, and remediation.
Prepare a Disclosure Statement
The last thing you want as a real estate agent is to lose a transaction by withholding information. Being upfront about the complications you have faced with mold could save you the deal. This will allow you to show the buyer or seller that you took proper action in remediation and preventing mold problems.
Being prepared with a proposal from a qualified remediation contractor will help build trust while facilitating the transaction. If you have taken and accomplished all of the steps for dealing with a mold problem then you are likely to have an easier transaction.
At AdvantaClean, we are ready to serve suburban Milwaukee and provide the right mold services you can trust for your clients home. We’re the experts in mold removal and water damage restoration and have founded our business on helping eradicate mold problems and educating the public on mold safety concerns.
Does your real estate practice work in southern Wisconsin? Are you working with a home that may need an inspection? Contact AdvantaClean of Suburban Milwaukee website or give us a call at (414) 240-0653.