Keeping Your Home Healthy for the Holidays
As you begin to prepare for the holiday season, your mind may be filled with images of baking cookies and unwrapping gifts. These are wonderful traditions, but, as any parent can tell you, some of the most memorable moments can also be some of the messiest ones.If you’re worried about how to balance your favorite holiday activities with keeping a clean and well-kept home, look no further. Today, we break down some of the essential steps you can take to keep your holiday season merry and bright.
Prepare and Organize
Beginning your holiday preparation now will save you time and stress in the long run. Some of the easiest tasks you can mark off your holiday check-lists today include:
- Give your guest room a once-over. After a long day of travel, nothing is more inviting than a bright and warm bedroom waiting for you. If you are expecting overnight holiday guests in your home, take some time to really look at their anticipated living arrangements. Consider adding a new touch, such as toiletry items or small holiday-themed room decor items. Your guests will notice and appreciate the thoughtful gesture.
- Reorganize the cupboards — all of them. Just about every home has a “junk drawer” full of miscellaneous items. Some extend this vague organizational method to their cabinets. Cut down on the chaos by putting some extra TLC into your most-used cupboards, especially those that hold reusable containers, pots, and pans. When holiday cooking starts in earnest, these efforts will pay off in making everything easier to find.
- Deep clean the bathroom. Even if you regularly clean your tub, shower, and toilet, it may be easy to overlook some other needed tasks, such as a shower curtain that needs attention. Try glass cleaner or vinegar for the faucets to remove soap scum and hard water stains. Invest in a squeegee for a streak-free mirror.
Clean to Your Heart’s Content
No organizational system in the world can substitute for a truly clean home. Prioritize the cleanliness of your home by following these simple steps:
- Wipe up the handprints. Cooking, crafting, scrapbooking, and the like can all make for sticky fingers. Make a pass through your home with some sanitizing wipes, and pay special attention to your door handles, walls, and appliances.
- Show your floors some love. Preparation can create a lot of foot traffic; don’t leave any dirt behind! The day before any guests arrive, vacuum your carpets and mop your hard floors. Shiny flooring can add an extra bit of brightness to any room!
- Your air ducts need cleaning, too. Dirty air ducts can increase allergy symptoms and make your heating & cooling system work harder and less efficiently. Schedule a professional air duct cleaning prior to the holidays for improved indoor air quality, reduced odors, and a more efficient HVAC system to keep your guests comfortable.
Enjoy the End Result
Holiday cleaning can be hard work. Take time to kick back and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
- Make your own snack and beverage corner. Every home should be the owner’s slice of paradise. When family and friends descend, it is important to keep a little treat around for yourself, or anyone else who might benefit from a small pick-me-up. Utilize an empty corner of the house to keep coffee, tea, light snacks, candy, or anything else that can get you through the busiest time of year.
- Keep things stress-free. Many holiday hosts may feel that they need to bring out their finest china at every meal in order to please guests. In truth, the holidays are about the people around the table, not what’s on them! Consider using disposable cups, plates, and utensils for easy, stress-free clean-up.
With a little time and love, your home can be the warmest welcome for your loved ones this holiday season.Keeping a clean home can feel overwhelming. Get help from industry experts with over twenty years of experience. You can count on AdvantaClean for air duct cleaning, mold remediation, and water and fire damage restoration. We’re available 24/7 for emergencies, because natural disasters don’t keep a convenient schedule. Call us today at 877.800.2382.