Are Those Online Tricks Helpful?
From time to time, you may notice mold growing in different areas of your house or buildings. Once mold begins growing, it is very challenging to eliminate. According to the CDC, areas with moisture such as leaks in pipes, roofs, windows, or places recently affected by floods are most susceptible.
Other areas where mold can grow:
- Paper products
- Wood products
Mold can be problematic. After a toxic mold swept the country in 2000, there have been numerous misconceptions about it. As a result, there has been somewhat unnecessary panic among managers and homeowners, triggering excessive repairs.
- All mold is toxic
One of the primary reasons people panic because of mold is the health implications it may have. Mold exposure can cause wheezing, stuffy nose, and redness or itchiness of the eyes and skin. Such symptoms are even more severe for individuals with asthma or allergies to mold.
Repeated exposure for extended periods, as with farmers working near moldy hay or workers exposed to mold, can translate to severe reactions. These include shortness of breath and fever. If you notice allergic reactions or asthma worsening, there may be mold in your house.
Despite the health risks, not all molds are toxic. Some are actually beneficial and play a crucial role in the ecosystem. Mold in natural environments helps in decomposing organic matter, paving the way for the growth of other organisms.
Other molds, such as Penicillium and Aspergillus flavus, are known for their human use. Penicillium is used to make penicillin, an antibiotic. On the other hand, Aspergillus flavus is used to make cheese. However, individuals whose immunity is compromised may still be affected if exposed to a high amount of these molds.
- Mold is new
The issue of mold in homes has only become problematic in the last few decades. It has been accompanied by the increased use of fungicides and a notion that mold is new or has evolved. In the 1970s, there was a significant change in how buildings are constructed. Whereas buildings are now more airtight, they're not exactly watertight.
Dampness and a lack of air circulation provide the ideal environment for the growth of some highly toxic species of mold. This is why it may seem like mold is new or becoming toxic, but it's only that our homes and buildings have become more conducive for them. On the contrary, being one of the simplest and earliest life forms, mold has been around for thousands of years.
Considering the health implications of mold exposure, it is best to remove it before it becomes problematic.
Is it safe to clean mold by yourself?
Whereas it is possible to remove mold by yourself, it is always advisable to call in professionals. This is because effective mold removal accounts for more than just the removal of the visible parts. The only time you can try doing it by yourself is when:
- The area covered is small
- Mold growth is on easy-to-clean surfaces such as tiles, sinks, glass, or metal
- The mold is growing on hard-to-clean materials but easy to remove, such as carpets, and you know the right procedures
- You are not allergic to mold or have any condition that can worsen
To avoid unnecessary exposure or further exasperating the problem, you are better off hiring professional mold removers. Some of the signs you should not attempt to remove mold by yourself include:
- The area covered by mold exceeds three feet squared
- Mold growth brought about by flooding with water that might be contaminated
- Growth spreads in different parts, and you do not know how to handle some aspects
- Mold growth in your HVAC system
- Growth on wood surfaces that cannot be removed or replaced
Can bleach kill mold?
One of the most popular mold removal tips on the internet is using bleach. Whereas it does have some effect, the question is, does bleach kill mold? The answer is yes, and no. By using a bleach solution, you can kill live mold. However, it will not eliminate mold spores. The mold membrane that lies underneath the visible growth is, in an actual sense, the main problem.
On porous surfaces such as wood or drywall, the chemical structure of bleach prevents it from penetrating. This allows mold membranes to avoid the chemical by retreating deeper into the surface. To make matters worse, a bleach and water solution can lead to faster regeneration of mold after the chemical is no longer on the surface.
Can vinegar kill mold?
There are high chances that you have the perfect ingredient for mold removal in small areas in your house; vinegar. Known to kill 82% of mold species, white vinegar can help you remove and prevent additional outbreaks of mold in the future. When using white vinegar for mold removal, you should:
- Wear protective clothing such as gloves, masks, and goggles
- Pour white distilled and undiluted vinegar via a spray bottle on the affected surface.
- Let the vinegar sit on the surface for at least an hour without rinsing or scrubbing.
- If you need to scrub the surface, use a baking soda solution. Mix one teaspoon of baking soda with two cups of water and shake them for a thorough mix in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution on the surface with growth and scrub.
- Use warm water to rinse the area
- Use vinegar or a baking soda solution to respray the area. Let it dry naturally to help kill any remaining mold.
Should you notice that there is regrowth shortly after treating an affected area, it's time to let professionals handle the situation.
Can you get rid of mold completely?
Homeowners face two big challenges when it comes to mold removal. First, you will not be sure of whether the mold is completely eradicated. Secondly, there is a high risk you may spread the mold spores to other areas as you clean. The best way to avoid such worries and getting rid of mold entirely is by letting professionals handle the job for you.
Advanta Clean is a cleaning agency that offers a wide range of residential and commercial cleaning services. Request a service appointment today to leave your mold worries behind.