Why Mold Removal from Wood Is Harder Than You Think

Mold is a nagging problem that we all encounter in our homes frequently, however clean we are. It quietly sneaks in and, if humidity is present, combines with it to create a problem that requires urgent attention. Wood attracts molds because of its porous nature. The water it absorbs provides the perfect environment for breeding mold.

Removing mold from wood is not easy - and can take longer to get rid of. And It is considered more challenging because:

Wood is porous, meaning all removal of spores is challenging. It involves a long process, which makes the elimination dangerous when inhaled. Inadequate removal will cause it to spread further. Using the wrong solutions will only scratch the surface but not completely clear it.

You may attempt to remove them yourself but if it becomes problematic and resistant, enlist a professional like AdvantaClean. They will address the root cause of the problem and ensure your home is mold-free.

How do you get mold stains out of wood?

Before you remove the stains, ensure you are safe by dressing in appropriate gear that covers your skin. Use a respirator  to avoid inhaling mold spores. Shield your eyes with eye goggles as the mold irritates the eyes. Protective clothing will keep mold spores from your attire and do not forget rubber gloves.

MoldyWoodMD.jpgClean the area in question, or vacuum clean it to curb the spread of mold. Study the wooden surface to determine what type of treatment to use. The wood may be painted or untreated.

If it is painted, wiping the surface with hot water and any detergent will resolve the issue. This is because the mold cannot penetrate through paint or any treated wood.

For untreated wood, clean the surface with water, detergent, and some bleach. What most people struggle with is, "does bleach kill molds?" It helps kill molds if used with water and works only if the mold is on the surface. After sponging the mixture on the wooden surface, you let it dry or use a dehumidifier to dry the area faster. This is necessary as excess water on the wood increases mold growth.

To remove the mold stains on the surfaces you have cleaned, you need to do a deep cleaning. The stains are hazardous to your health, so exercise caution to not increase mold growth instead of getting rid of it. Sanding the affected and cleaned area may remove the mold stain. If the wood is darker, discoloration will occur. Apply varnish or new paint after coating the place with mold-killing primer to conceal the discoloration.

How do you prevent mold on wood?

The safest way is to ensure you have a dry environment as molds thrive in damp places. You can do this by opening windows for air circulation and using dehumidifiers or fans.

Keep the moisture content in the wood to the lowest level. In case your wood is wet, subject it to kiln drying. This will dry the wood and make it mold-resistant.

You may be wondering, "Is it bad to use bleach on mold?" To prevent mold on the wood, bleach is not bad, but you need to dilute it. Note that the bleach stains wood and the chlorine therein does not penetrate the wood. This meansMoldonWallMD.jpg the water portion in it is what is absorbed. It can only cause further damage. Bleach is also unhealthy when in contact with humans. Professionals like AdvantaClean use alternative chemicals that are safe such as quaternary ammonium mixtures and Benefact. They will prevent the growth of mold spores.

Is mold on wood furniture dangerous?

Yes, it is. Apart from being unsightly, mold on wood furniture can be dangerous to you and your family members. The allergenic mold type gives off a musty smell that causes coughing and aggravates allergic or asthmatic conditions. Other effects are rashes, dizziness, and breathing issues that affect your respiratory system. Itchy eyes, hay fever, and nasal congestion are other health effects caused by molds.

The pathogenic type of mold on your wood furniture can lead to severe diseases in your household members, especially those with weak immunity in their systems. They can suffer from skin irritation, athlete's foot, organ infection, and nail problems.

If the mold on your wooden furniture is toxigenic, take special care.  Because of mycotoxin substances, it may cause severe harm. Exposure to these substances is through inhaling, touching, or ingesting. Some deadly illnesses it can cause are cancer, liver damage, hormonal disorders, and nervous system disorders.

Mold also leads to wood damage as it penetrates the cloth on the furniture. If there is no cloth, it will still find its way into the wood, leading to the wood's rotting. This will weaken the furniture over time and cause harm to individuals who use the furniture when it breaks.

What can I spray on wood to kill mold?

You can spray the following mixtures to eliminate molds.

One teaspoon of dishwashing detergent and lukewarm water in a spray bottle. Shake well to mix and use it on the affected places. Equal parts white vinegar and lukewarm water in a sprayer Concrobium Mold Control in a garden sprayer Drops of vodka to water in a spray bottle

Summary

Do not treat the mold in your home lightly as it is dangerous. It makes your family vulnerable to avoidable health conditions. Mold can get in different places, including your wooden furniture. Since there is something about those orifices in the wood, it is not easy to kill mold in those areas. Use the tricks above as an emergency measure but DO call an expert for a more permanent solution that will result in a mold-free home while restoring your peace.

For a mold-free home,  Contact us and schedule a free consultation today.

Schedule an Appointment or Call (877) 800-2382

To request a service call, please fill out the form below and we will contact you via phone, email or text as soon as possible to confirm an appointment time. You will receive an email confirming your service request.

AdvantaClean Systems, Inc. uses cookies. Cookies help track user website behavior for functionality, analytics, and marketing and may share your information with third parties. By visiting this website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more here.